Site Map
Sign up for
Email Alerts

Translate This Page

Legal Services

Finding Assistance

  • The NYC Dept. of Homeless Services (DHS) has information for tenants at-risk of being evicted from their apartment in both their Rent Issues and Rental Assistance sections of their website.
  • DHS also offers information for adults and families seeking shelter, as well as information for people needing housing due to issues such as domestic violence. DHS also runs the Homebase program, which offers an extensive network of neighborhood-based services.

  • LawHelp NY is a web site with links to free and affordable legal aid and information about your legal rights, courts, and more in New York and elsewhere.

  • NYC's Human Resources Administration offers a "One Shot Deal" emergency assistance program that helps people who cannot meet an expense due to an unexpected situation or event.

  • Coalition for the Homeless offers assistance for those being evicted; fleeing domestic violence; needing shelter (or dealing with problems in a shelter); and related issues.

To Find a Lawyer

Housing Court

  • NYC Housing Court offers a Volunteer Lawyers Program for Unrepresented Litigants. If you are not represented by an attorney and you need legal advice about a residential landlord-tenant law matter, the Housing Court’s Volunteer Lawyers Program may be of help.

  • The Civil Court Info Line has recorded information about the Housing Court in English and Spanish (24 hours a day) at (212) 791-6000. If you are being evicted for nonpayment of rent, you may be eligible for an emergency grant from the Human Resources Administration (HRA). There is a HRA liaison located in each borough's Housing Court. A Housing Court Counselor (Pro-Se Attorney) is available in each housing court to assist people without attorneys. The clerk's office staff can refer you to the Housing Court Counselor. Resource Centers are also available in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan courts.

  • Housing Court Answers (formerly City-Wide Task Force on Housing Court) has information tables in most Housing Courts, or you can call them weekdays from 2-5pm at (212) 962-4795 or the Metropolitan Council on Housing at (212) 979-0611. Also, in some of the Housing Courts there is a Resource Center where you can view a video about Housing Court procedures and get written information and forms.

  • Information about eviction and the role of city marshals may be found on the NYC Department of Investigation Marshal Evictions FAQ webpage.

Page updated 3/13/2017 Always Open Go to: NYC-311 Home | Contact Us | Directory | Privacy Policy