HOUSING MAINTENANCE CODE
[table of contents]
PHYSICAL AND OCCUPANCY STANDARDS FOR DWELLING UNITS
27-2063 Location of Water Closets
27-2064 Size and Construction of Water Closet Compartments
27-2065 Light and Ventilation of
Water Closet Compartments
27-2066 Sanitary Facilities in Apartments
27-2067 Sanitary Facilities in Rooming
27-2068 Sanitary Facilities in
Certain Multiple Dwellings Erected After 1929
27-2069 Sanitary Facilities in One-
and Two-Family Dwellings
Sec. 27-2063 Location
of water closets
- Water closets are prohibited in any yard, court or other open space. The
owner shall remove any such existing water closet or other similar receptacle
and, under the direction of the department, disinfect the area where such
receptacle was located.
- Water closets are prohibited in a cellar or basement, unless they are
either provided for lawful cellar and basement dwelling units, or are supplementary
to water closets required under the provisions of this article.
- In any apartment, a water closet may be placed in a separate compartment
or in a bathroom.
- In any apartment, no more than one water closet shall be placed within
a single compartment.
- In a class A multiple dwelling, a general toilet room containing more
than one water closet is prohibited, unless such water closets are supplementary
to the facilities required for each apartment, or serve the nonresidential
portions of the premises.
- In a multiple dwelling erected after April eighteenth, nineteen hundred
twenty-nine, no water closet located within a compartment or bathroom may
open into any kitchen or kitchenette.
Sec. 27-2064 Size
and construction of water closet compartments
- Every water closet compartment shall be at least two feet, four inches in
- The walls enclosing every water closet compartment shall extend from
floor to ceiling except in general toilet or bath rooms.
- The walls of every water closet compartment and general toilet or bath
room shall be plastered, tiled or covered with similar materials approved
by the department.
- The floor of every water closet compartment, bath room or general toilet
room shall be waterproofed with material approved by the department. Such
waterproofing shall extend at least six inches above the floor, except at
- Drip trays are prohibited.
- No water closet or other plumbing fixture shall be enclosed with any
Sec. 27-2065 Light
and ventilation of water closet compartments
- In every water closet compartment, bathroom and general toilet room one of
the following requirements for light and ventilation shall be met:
- There shall be a window opening upon a street, yard, court, partially
enclosed balcony or space above a setback, on an offset or recess which
may be less than six feet in width. Every such window shall be at least
three square feet in area and one-half of its area shall open.
- If the water closet compartment, bathroom or general toilet room
is either located on the top story or is underneath the bottom of a
lawful shaft or court, it may be lighted and ventilated by a skylight
in the roof. Such skylight shall contain three square feet of glazed
area and shall open.
- There shall be a system of mechanical ventilation, approved for
construction and arrangement by the department. In a multiple dwelling
such system of ventilation shall be maintained and operated continuously
to provide at least four changes per hour of the air volume of each water
closet, bathroom or general toilet room daily from six o'clock in the
morning until midnight in all residential parts of a dwelling and from
seven o'clock in the morning until seven o'clock at night in any nonresidental
parts of a dwelling. In a private dwelling the approved system of mechanical
ventilation may be switch-operated.
- Nothing in this section shall require any change to be made in the
lighting or ventilation of water closets, bathrooms, or general toilet
rooms in any portion of any old law tenement or any converted dwelling
if such lighting or ventilation was lawful on July first, nineteen hundred
sixty-one and in one or two family dwellings if such lighting or ventilation
was lawful on August second, nineteen hundred sixty-seven.
Sec. 27-2066 Sanitary
facilities in apartments
- Multiple dwellings erected after nineteen hundred twenty-nine:
- Every apartment in a multiple dwelling erected after April eighteenth,
nineteen hundred twenty-nine shall contain a water closet and a bath.
- In every such dwelling exceeding two stories in height, a water
closet shall be accessible to every bedroom without passing through any
other bedroom, and such access shall be required in every dwelling of
two stories or less in height erected after July first, nineteen hundred
- In a multiple dwelling erected after July fourteenth, nineteen hundred
sixty-seven, every apartment shall contain a washbasin.
- Converted dwellings.
- Every apartment in a converted dwelling shall
contain a water closet and a bath or shower; and every apartment in a
dwelling converted after July first, nineteen hundred sixty-one shall
also contain a washbasin.
- In an apartment located in a dwelling converted after April thirteenth,
nineteen hundred forty, there shall be access to a water closet from
every bedroom without passing through any other bedroom.
- New law tenements.
- Every apartment in a new law tenement shall
contain a water closet and a bath.
- In every apartment, a water closet shall be accessible to every
bedroom without passing through any other bedroom.
- Old law tenements.
- In every old law tenement a water closet shall be provided for the
exclusive use of the occupants of every apartment. If it is not located
within the apartment, the water closet shall be located on the same story
as the apartment and shall be equipped with lock and key.
- Such water closet shall be constructed and ventilated as approved
by the department.
- New apartments in converted dwellings or tenements. After December
ninth, nineteen hundred fifty-five, in any converted dwelling or tenement
- the number of apartments in the dwelling is increased by any alteration,
including the subdivision of existing apartments, the conversion of non-residential
space or rooming units to apartments, or the enlargement of the dwelling;
- all apartments in the dwelling are vacated by the department or,
except in a summer resort dwelling, are untenanted for sixty days or
more; a new certificate of occupancy shall not be issued and a newly
created apartment shall not be occupied, or a vacated apartment reoccupied,
unless it contains a water closet, bath or shower, and washbasin.
- Requirements for all apartments in multiple dwellings effective January
first, nineteen hundred seventy-three: Effective January first, nineteen
hundred seventy-three, there shall be provided for the exclusive use
of the occupants of each apartment in a multiple dwelling a water closet,
a bath or shower; and a wash basin, except that in tenements, no wash
basin shall be required pursuant to this section where there is a sink
within the apartment.
Sec. 27-2067 Sanitary
facilities in rooming units
- Every building containing rooming units, and each individual
apartment used for single room occupancy, shall contain at least one water
closet, washbasin and bath or shower for each six persons lawfully occupying
rooming units therein, and for any remainder of less than six persons. At
least one water closet shall be located on any floor containing a rooming
unit. If there are not more than two rooms on the first story above the basement
in said rooming house, no water closet is required on such floor but the
occupants of the room shall be counted in determining the required number
- Every occupant of a rooming unit shall have access to each
required water closet, washbasin and bath or shower without passing through
any other rooming unit or portion of the dwelling reserved for other occupants.
- Any additional water closet installed to comply with the requirements
of subdivision a of this section shall be located in a compartment, separate
from any other water closet, bath or shower, except that a required washbasin
may be provided in such compartment. Such additional baths, or showers, shall
be located in compartments separate from every required water closet.
- Sanitary facilities for the exclusive use of and accessible only to the
occupants of one rooming unit may be combined in a bathroom. Neither the
facilities nor the occupants shall be counted in determining the number of
the facilities required in subdivision a of this section.
Sec. 27-2068 Sanitary
facilities in certain multiple dwellings erected after 1929
- Fireproof multiple dwelling. In a fireproof multiple dwelling erected after
April eighteenth, nineteen hundred twenty-nine, in which any living room
opens directly upon a public hall without any intervening room, foyer or
passage, or in which any suites of two living rooms open upon a foyer giving
direct access to a public hall, there shall be one water closet for every
three such living rooms on a story. Every such water closet shall be accessible
to one or more such rooms without passage through a public hall or bedroom.
In a class B multiple dwelling, where any such living room does not have
access to a water closet without passage through a public hall or bedroom,
there shall be at least one water closet for every such fifteen living rooms
or fraction thereof, and every such living room shall have access to a water
closet through a public hall.
- Fireproof class B dwelling. In a fireproof class B multiple dwelling
erected after April eighteenth, nineteen hundred twenty-nine, in which every
living room, excluding rooms occupied by management and maintenance personnel
of the dwelling, opens directly to a public hall without passing through
any other room, foyer or private hall, there shall be two water closets
for the first twenty living rooms or fraction thereof, and one additional
water closet for each additional fifteen living rooms or fraction thereof.
Such water closets may be located in compartments or in general toilet
rooms accessible from every living room on the floor. A urinal may be substituted
for a water closet on any story where seventeen or more rooms are occupied
exclusively by males, but not more than one-quarter of the required facilities
may be urinals.
- Nonfireproof class B dwellings. In a nonfireproof class B multiple dwelling
erected after April eighteenth, nineteen hundred twenty-nine, there shall
be one water closet and washbasin for every seven living rooms. One such
water closet compartment with washbasin shall be accessible to every room
on each floor.
- Sanitary facilities for employees of tenants. If employees of the tenants
occupy two or more rooms opening directly to the same public hall in a fireproof
multiple dwelling erected after April eighteenth, nineteen hundred twenty-nine,
there shall be one water closet for the first four rooms or fraction thereof
and one additional water closet for each additional seven rooms or fraction
thereof. Such facilities shall be accessible either directly from such rooms
or through the public halls.
Sec. 27-2069 Sanitary
facilities in one- and two-family dwellings
owner of a one- or two-family dwelling shall provide for the exclusive use
of the occupants of each dwelling unit at least one water closet, one washbasin,
and one bath or shower. Such facilities shall be located on the same story
as each dwelling unit, or on any of the stories to which a dwelling unit extends.