HOUSING MAINTENANCE CODE
[table of contents]
MAINTENANCE, SERVICES, AND UTILITIES
27-2034 Space and Water Heaters
27-2035 Gas-fired Refrigerators
27-2036 Self-inspection of Gas appliances
Sec. 27-2034 Space
and water heaters
- Any gas-fueled space or water heater used in any dwelling unit, in addition
to the provisions of section 27-2032 of article eight of this subchapter,
shall comply with the provisions of this section and with the regulations
of the department.
- No person shall install or maintain in any dwelling unit a gas fuel-fired
space or water heater unless the heater obtains combustion air directly from
the outside of the building. In the alternative, a gas fuel-fired water heater
that does not obtain its combustion air directly from the outside of the
building may be installed, provided that such installation is in compliance
with the conditions of subdivision i of section P107.26 of reference standard
RS-16 of the building code.
- No person shall install or maintain a gas-fueled water heater in a room
occupied for sleeping purposes, or cause or permit to be occupied for sleeping
purposes any room in which a gas-fueled heater is installed.
- No person shall install or maintain in any dwelling unit a gas-fueled
water heater so designed and arranged that it heats water in pipe coils
placed at a distance from the hot water storage tank.
- Every gas fuel-fired space or water heater shall be (i) currently listed
by an independent laboratory acceptable to the commissioner of buildings,
(ii) approved by the department of buildings and (iii) approved by the
department of health and mental hygiene. All accessories or control devices
for use with such heaters shall have proof of such listing.
- Each heater shall be equipped with an effective device which will automatically
shut off the gas supply to the heater if its pilot light or other constantly
burning flame is extinguished, or in the event of an interruption of the
gas supply to the heater, and will not permit the heater to be relighted
unless such shut-off device is first reset manually.
- Each heater shall be rigidly connected to the gas piping supplying gas
in the premises.
- Each heater shall be connected to a flue or outlet pipe conforming to
the provisions of the building code. No heater shall be vented to an inner
court. A flue or outlet pipe may be extended to an inner court if the flue
or pipe is connected with an outside chimney which conforms with the provisions
of the building code.
Sec. 27-2035 Gas-fired
- It shall be unlawful to install or furnish for use or to use, operate,
or permit to be used or operated in a dwelling any gas-fired refrigerator:
- Which utilizes a water-cooled gas-fired refrigerator unit; or
- Which is not equipped with a flue and flue components wholly composed
of a non-metallic material or of molybdenum stainless steel or aluminum;
- Which is not equipped with a fixed mounted dust incinerating type of
gas burner, gas pressure regulator, gas supply filter, and thermostat;
- Which does not have a properly operating automatic regulating or safety
device of a type installed or specified by the manufacturer, or which has
a clogged flue, or an improperly operating burner, or which gives off excessive
heat or odors or discharges carbon monoxide or is otherwise defective.
- Inspectors or other duly authorized representatives of the department
may seal any refrigerator which is in violation of this section. Any refrigerator
so sealed shall not be installed, used, or operated without the written permission
of the department.
Sec. 27-2036 Self-inspection
of gas appliances
owner shall cause an inspection to be made by a licensed plumber, utility company,
or other qualified gas service person of each gas-fueled space heater and,
in an old law tenement or in any rooming unit, of each gas appliance, at least
once a year. The findings on inspection shall be recorded on forms approved
by the department and shall be kept on file by the owner for a period of one
year. Such inspection reports shall be submitted to the department upon request
but shall not be subject to inspection by others or to subpoena, or used in
or as the basis of prosecution for the existence of a defect on the date of