HOUSING MAINTENANCE CODE
[table of contents]
MAINTENANCE, SERVICES, AND UTILITIES
and Rodent Eradication
27-2018 Rodent and Insect Eradication; Mandatory
27-2019 Elimination of Harborages
Sec. 27-2017 Definitions
used in this article:
- Eradication means the elimination of rodents or insects and other pests
from any premises through the use of traps, poisons, fumigation or any other
method of extermination.
- Insects and other pests include the members of class insecta, including
houseflies, lice, bees, cockroaches, moths, silverfish, beetles, bedbugs,
ants, termites, hornets, mosquitoes and wasps, and such members of the
phylum arthropoda as spiders, mites, ticks, centipedes and wood lice.
- Harborage means any condition which provides shelter or protection for
rodents or insects and other pests.
Sec. 27-2018 Rodent
and insect eradication; mandatory extermination
- The owner or occupant in control of a dwelling shall keep the premises free
from rodents, and from infestations of insects and other pests, and from
any condition conducive to rodent or insect and other pest life.
- When any premises are subject to infestation by rodents or insects and
other pests, the owner or occupant in control shall apply continuous eradication
- When the department makes the determination that any premises are infested
by rodents, insects or other pests, it may order such eradication measures
as the department deems necessary.
Sec. 27-2019 Elimination
building material, lumber, boxes, cartons, barrels, containers, machinery,
raw material, fabricated goods, junk, food, animal feed and any other substance
which may afford harborage or provide food for such rodents or insects and
other pests shall be kept stored or handled by the owner and tenants of every
dwelling in such manner as the department may require. The department may make
orders to eliminate rat harborages to the person who is responsible for the
conditions. The department shall uncover and inspect periodically all structural
harborages which cannot be eliminated from dwellings.